The German late Romantic poet Wilhelm Müller was born in Dessau, where he also died. He was made famous especially by Franz Schubert, who used his poems for his song cycles "The Fair Maid of the Mill" and "Winter Journey". Many of his poems, such as “Wandering is the Miller’s Joy” and "At the Well in Front of the Gate", became German folk songs. During his stay in Františkovy Lázně, he wrote the poem cycle entitled “Songs from Františkovy Lázně near Cheb".
The monument was created in 1910 by Adolf Mayerl, and originated on the initiative of students from the Cheb Region. At the end of the World War II, the monument was destroyed and fell into ruin. Its renewal in 2013, with a new inscription, was sponsored by the married couple Marie-Verena and Bernard Leistner.