Walks in our parks
are always enchanting.
Trees, parks and forest parks are an essential part of the treatment process and of the spa town's atmosphere. The planting and landscaping of greenery began shortly after the foundation of the spa. Sophisticated plans and designs of park greenery were supervised by architect Gustav Wiedermann and later by J. M. Riedl. A local family of the Loimanns ventured into building a private park for their spa guests independently of the growing town parks. And today, spa guests can enjoy relaxing walks, fitness walking with poles or jogging in Municipal Park, Bedřich Smetana Park, South Gardens, Salt and Meadow Spring Park, Westend Park, or Amerika Forest Park.
The therapeutic landscape of Františkovy Lázně is an exceptional example of a cultural landscape, which was created from originally monotonous low moors and peat bogs to suit the needs of the spa treatment over a period stretching from the late 18th century to the early 20th century. From the 1830s, the original formal French-style gardens were transformed into naturally landscaped parks inspired by English gardens. The new park designs were drawn up by the horticulturist of the court gardens at Schönbrunn, J. M. Riedel. The subsequent extension of the parks was carried out by the horticulturist of the Imperial Botanical Garden in Vienna, Martin Soukup. Between the years 1865-1911, further enlargement of the parks continued under the supervision of Antonín Soukup. Owing to its gradual development, Františkovy Lázně is the only spa town with an interior and exterior spa landscape, which has been preserved to this day and is interwoven with countless marked promenades and foot paths collectively known as the Heart Trails.
It is the largest landscaped area in Františkovy Lázně located to the north of the
main avenue of Národní. In 1882, a wooden octagonal music pavilion was constructed in the park, which currently also serves as the venue for concerts of the Františkovy Lázně Symphony Orchestra.
The area to the south of the František Spring represents one of the town's oldest and most prestigious parks. The park had been continuously evolving as a formal parterre garden from the late 18th century to the 1920s when it was joined with Salt and Meadow Spring Park and refashioned into a naturally landscaped park. In the 1930s, Glauber Spring Hall became the new dominant of the park.
The area in front of the Salt and Meadow Spring Colonnade was landscaped into a park in 1860. In the 1890s, it was extended to the east and south in the direction of the springs. The main promenade leads to the romantic Salingburg Lookout Tower.
The park is situated below the Božena Němcová Theatre. Perhaps it might be interesting to look back into the history of this central town park, which was formerly named Morgenzeile and was founded in the 1860s on land adjoining a block of spa buildings in the east.
In the 1840s, a new naturally landscaped park was founded behind the building of Louise's Bath. The town pond at the northwest end of the park was remodelled into Swan Pond with a small island. In 1902, a wide promenade known as the "Westend Avenue" was built along Slatinný Creek.
The vast forest park at the southwest edge of the town was founded in the early 1980s. It is interwoven with paths that are lined with benches, arbours and memorials.
After the discovery of the Natalie Spring in 1919, a peat bog to the east of the spa was made accessible to the public. In 1930, a new colonnade was built, as well as a landscaped promenade leading along the banks of Slatinný Creek and the low moors.
Aside from Amerika, it is the second major achievement of the Františkovy Lázně Beautification Association and considering its area of more than 44 hectares, it is the largest forest and spa complex completed by its members.