Bedřich Smetana Park is located by the Božena Němcová Theatre. Perhaps it would be interesting to look into the history of this central municipal park, which was formerly known as Morgenzeile and whose establishment is dated to the 1860s. It was created on the properties continuing to the east from the housing block of spa buildings. In 1866, Antonín Soukup, along with Metternich’s gardener, Stadler, adapted the path hemmed by linden trees - hence the name Morgenzeile, the Morning Alley - and thus laid the foundations for further park adjustments. Historical plans show that first, a narrow strip continuing in what is today Dr Pohorecký Street was established, divided into several separate “gardens” belonging to the adjacent hotels. The park designs continued from them, and their main roads stemmed from two transverse streets - Poštovní and Husova. In 1868, in the north-west corner of the area, the spa theatre was constructed, and the park was established approximately up to its midpoint. When the Villa Imperial was built in 1878, a garden was created in its direct proximity, which was then decently attached to the surrounding park, which significantly extended the municipal greenery. The later phases of the developments of the park in these areas were directed towards the pavilion of the Salty Spring, where in 1905, a monument to the Austrian Empress Elisabeth, known as Sissi, was unveiled. This monument was adorned by an extensive parterre of flowers. Sadly, in 1925, the monument was removed as a symbol of the Hapsburg rule, and the area was compositionally connected to the parterre located by the Imperial Spa.
”Morning Park” gained a distinct architectural dominant in the form of the Art Nouveau monument to author Johann Wolfgang Goethe created by prominent sculptor Karl Josef Wilfert, jr. Its surroundings were completed by a formally designed garden adjustment composed of the dendrologically-interesting background of the monument and of the line of planted lindens hemming the flower parterre. Benches of an interesting shape served for rest.
Currently, the frame of the park is created by English oaks and Norway maples. Around the theatre, which received its present-day appearance in 1928, a larger share of European horse-chestnuts is planted.