The monument to Johann Wolfgang Goethe, located in the park behind the Municipal Theatre, was created as a fountain in 1906 by the famous sculptor, Karl Wilfert, jr.
The monument is designed symmetrically, and the higher, central section carries the bas relief of J.W. Goethe. Underneath him, we find two gargoyles. The side wings, placed on high pedestals, are decorated by two other bas reliefs, Pegasus with the lovers on the left as an allegory of lyrical poetry, and the battle of Centaurus and Lapithes as an allegory of drama. In the central section, we find the allegories of Truth and Beauty.